wah, so much to update! here's to keeping up to date (fail) but i guess i've just been busy living, one can get quite carried away with the days and the moments, you know how it is... :p
first things first, the perlacher forest! its the best thing in the entire world, i just love it and have been cycling there every morning and feeling very pleased with myself being part of the morning cycling crew. we smile at each other and everything! they all have better bikes and cycling gear than me though :p
but either way i can't get over the fact that this pure slice of countryside is on the edge of a massive city...it is exactly like two completely separate worlds side by side, there is just no traffic noise at all when youre there and its a massive escape from the busy-ness... :) i was cycling along the other day with my iPod on and We Can Be Strong by Willy Mason came on, i don't know if anyone even reads this and what their musical persuasions are but this guy is just something special, he's about the same age as me and just writes the most world-weary songs, his voice just knows about life, i love it. long story short, this song means a lot to me (lyricsgay) as i used to listen to it every day on my way to egg, and the words were just sorta appropriate for me at that time but this was the first time i'd heard it since that whole time...and it just hit me how much my life has changed, and in many ways derby knocked a lot of the life out of me, and especially towards the end i wasn't the me i actually am there, and to suddenly realise that i wasn't in that place anymore, and the sun was shining, and the scenery was so beautiful...i guess i just had a little moment. :) i also really have the urge to sleep in the forest one day, but i am completely aware this is probably the storyline to a book or a film somewhere and perhaps something that should not be attempted in real life. still want to..
on the cycling note i have been upping my daily exercise, being at home and doing pretty much nothing had turned me into something approaching a fatty. i worked out four times yesterday! and am already feeling the benefit, even if being outside in the sun too much has left my poor skin somewhat pink and itchy...a rather irritating development as until fairly recently i used to tan quite well, bah >:( fingers crossed it should go brown...blah
i have also sent out my first batch of postcards, and written and stamped the second batch to be sent after i finish this. i am sending them in fours, not really sure why, its just a nice number as doesn't take too long therefore keeps me interested in writing to those who mean the very most :)
on one of my evening runs around the neighbourhood i saw lots of little oddities including the largest hopscotch i had ever seen (100 squares)...this has inspired me to play hopscotch with the girls this week. also, some amazing individual has built a house, with a balcony and a slide coming off said balcony to the gate...what an idea...i would get out of bed every day smiling if that were my house...too cool!
on the subject of oddities there was a man with his very own tree on the u-bahn yesterday...it had all these oddments of ribbons tied to it, a very nice looking tree...and he was very late for the train...maybe the tree had an appointment, i don't know...but they were very keen to make said train and they just got it on time, and then nobody cracked a smile about this apart from me! perhaps trees catching public transport is normal around here. of course, in situations like this when perhaps one shouldn't laugh on one's own, i thought of hannah parker and had to do that silent giggling thing. damn knowing someone who will always find inapporpriate situations as funny as you... :p
which brings me to last night, aka- my first time sampling the delights of munich nightlife. before i lived with this family, a girl called gemma lived with them and she's been really ace in taking me under her wing and showing me about the place, as well as introducing me to some people all of whom so far are rather sound :)
first of all let me just mention (before i forget) that on the way to the station on the rickety old bike (srsly, its the noisiest thing you have ever heard...perhaps this is why the bike people smile...i'm not in a crew after all they're just mocking me... :\) who arrives but the german police....turns out that although its really cycle-friendly around here with seperate bike roads and such, if its night you have to have your lights on or can't ride the bike. mine weren't working...hmm...which lead to a nice friendly ticking off from them interspersed with much "i'm english and i don't understand"-ing from me. all ok in the end as i was actually about 10 steps from where i was supposed to be so, i locked up the bike and went on my merry way...
obviously, this had held me up time wise and i was by this time half an hour late to meet gemma, woops :\ we found each other ok though, AND i even asked for and understood directions in german, from a real german person - so chuffed as this is the first person that hasn't spoken back to me in english... :) so, we ended up going to some of the hostel bars near the main train station - really nice atmosphere, lots of au pairs and such to meet and chat to, lots of travellers just making their way through and more than anything, lots of english to be spoken AND i even found a place that sold cider and blackcurrant at which point my life was made. i only had one though as i felt incredibly typically english for spurning the local ale...so therefore had some Biers as well, which by the way were strong..! we then went on to a rather strange club with Very Laud Haus Musik and a very confusing layout. I was by this point verr tired and so got the Ubahn back to the bike and got in about 5...as before everything is so safe here, it's really not a problem going home by yourself which to me is interesting as i am a massive wimp when it comes to that...
anyways it's occurred to me i've been writing for about an hour now and i really must post these cards. Well done if you got this far ;) have a cookie.
Love
x

Saturday 1 May 2010 Posted in | , , , , , | 1 Comments »

One Responses to "forests, bier, hopscotches, slides and police...amongst other things"

  1. Life and times of Sooz says:

    Your post inspired me to listen to Willy Mason again. I haven't listened to him since 2005. <3
    p.s. I laughed at the tree thing too.
    I laughed out loud in the middle of town today. I was walking by the river and it must have been something about the paving because I thought of this time Lindz and I crossed this 'naked line' that some guy had drawn on the ground at Reading that year we all went. We crossed the line and he stripped -ALL- his clothes off. Funny.
    xxx

Write a comment